Here is what I have gained by being part of a pseudo-”exclusive” academic society:
1) The ability to recognize whether a new acquaintance is open-minded or not.
2) The ability to recognize whether a new acquaintance is broad-minded or not.
3) The ability to separate the thinkers from the non-thinkers.
4) A new appreciation for non-conformists (within reason).
5) Learning how to deal with paperland and administrivia.
More on each topic soon.
This work, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.